Blood is a composition of around 6 mixes of plasma and blood cells including red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Blood Cancer is cancer that befalls in the blood and affects the effective production and smooth functioning of the blood cells.
Types of Blood Cancers
Blood Cancers are of three types:
- Leukemia- It occurs in the bone marrow and is a type of cancer of the group of blood cells (platelets, white blood cells, and red blood cells).
- Lymphoma- It is the cancer of lymphocytes that occurs in the lymphatic system, specifically the lymph node.
- Myeloma – It affects immunity by attacking the plasma cells which helps in developing the antibodies to fight against diseases.
Causes of Blood Cancer
- Infections- Several infections can lead to blood cancer.
- Aging- Age is the most important factor that can cause blood cancer.
- Immunity- It is very essential as lack of immunity attracts a group of diseases including blood cancer.
- Family History- Blood cancer can be genetic and can be developed in your body if any of your family members is suffering from it.
Symptoms of Blood Cancer
There are several symptoms of blood cancer that can help you identify the same in your body. The symptoms include:
- Weight Loss
- Shortness of Breath
- Bleeding gums
- Bone and Joint Pain
- Difficulty in urination or the decreased urination
- Lymph enlargement
Diagnosis of Blood Cancer
- Leukemia- For diagnosing leukemia, a CBC or Complete Blood Count test is requires to count the level of white blood cells, platelets, and red blood cells in the body.
- Lymphoma- To detect a swollen lymph node, an X-Ray, PET or CT is required. The doctor can also perform a biopsy to diagnose lymphoma.
- Myeloma- For this, a CBC, PET, CT, X-Ray, or Biopsy can be performed by the doctor.
Treatment of Blood Cancer
There are numerous ways to treat blood cancers including:
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Biological Therapy to Kill Cancer
- Cancer Surgery
- Radiation Therapy
Treatment of blood cancer is possible and blood cancer can be eradicated from a person’s body. On 28th May, blood cancer day is observed to support the patients who are suffering from blood cancer and to spread awareness.
If you or your family has any symptoms of blood cancers, do visit Link Hospital, Shivpuri Link Road, Gwalior(474001) or contact at 0751-2920200. We have the best team of doctors and the best medical facilities to treat blood cancer.